There are a variety of tools that can help us with our homework. But we need to know exactly ‘what is hand tools’ and what each feature is like. Otherwise, we are probably using or operating them incorrectly.
This is not a minor detail. There were many people who were victims of serious accidents. Or at least they were injured because of the abuse of equipment. So for your safety, you have to know what is hand tool and how to use it properly at your home or in other works.
Types of hand tools
The tools are broadly classified, in mechanical and manual. The hand tools are well known to all. They are the ones we manipulate with our hands, without any source of energy or electricity.
But to be able to instruct ourselves a little more about them, we will introduce ourselves in their world. Then you can know about the proper definition of ‘what is hand tools’ and how they are used to.
Workshop hand tools
What are they and what are they for?
Hand tools are called accessories. Usually, they are made of steel, fiber, wood, plastic or rubber-metal. They are used to develop, in an appropriate and practical way. The tasks that need energy and effort.
What the manual tools allow us to do is to be able to execute these actions using the least possible effort.
How are hand tools used?
The hand tools are intended primarily for construction. Sometimes, repair and those with a simple work or state out of difficulty. Without them, it would be almost impossible to achieve them.
For those who are not very informed about these hand tools, we tell you that these tools have been used for a long time. But in the last quarter of the nineteenth century, their relevance was given to what they deserved.
It has happened, to the improvement of the material with which they are produced and the technological advancement to it. We have to add to the fancy development of their large production and developable parts. This has revolutionized the hardware market.
When many ask: What exactly are the hand tools?
The answer is as wide as it gets. These types of tools reach countless models. But then we will list the details in a list, the most relevant and they should be at home.
Among the essentials the hand tools are:
- lock pick,
- And construction rigs.
We can say that all these tools help us perform most of our work at home or in a workshop. So for any inconvenience, we must keep these at home as hand tools.
Mechanical hand tools
Sometimes using or manipulating hand tools seems to be an easy task. We must say that we are at risk when we do not pay attention to it, or fully understand its operation and application.
First of all, before buying such a hand tool, you must know the job or task for which it was designed. We must necessarily have at least a basic idea of how it works and if it will really meet our expectations. Like we can carry out the work with her.
When we have acquired the item in question, we must proceed with its use. Thus we must take some precautions.
If, for example, we must work with a handsaw, it is very important to wear gloves. And work with this tool as far away from our physical as possible. In this way, we avoid accidents such as cuts.
We need to understand that hand tools are designed with a purpose. That is why we must respect them, not force them or change them to perform other tasks.
- The handles (if they have one) must not be splinted and must be fully attached to the tool.
- The same for the rest, their tips, arms, bits, etc., should not be deformed.
- If needed, insulated featured equipment should be used in case of the risk of contracting electrical power or some other combustible material.
Manual security tools
Personal protection equipment is used to protect body parts. Some tools are used to cover full-parts also. That we are going to wear must have its corresponding certificate and homologation. It guarantees the security we need.
Saving hand tools is a very important task. They should always be stored in an orderly manner, in boxes, panels or shelves, where each one owns its place.
Under no point of view, they can be left lying in corridors, stairs or similar places, where they can cause an accident.
If we don’t share them with anyone, regular personalized storage controls are recommended.
We must always check their condition before storing and handling them. We will repair those that are damaged or we will change them for new ones. Don’t do temporary repairs, because this could lead to future risks!!
If we are going to take them to a service, then we must make sure that it gives us some guarantee and that it is trustworthy.
These are just some rules or tips for us to give our hand tools a longer useful life and that they help us with our work.
Power tools are those that need electrical power for operation. For start-up depend on an engine, which in turn can be electric, pneumatic or hydraulic.
Main risks of these tools:
- Direct and indirect electrical contacts.
- Bumps and cuts on hands or other parts of the body.
- Eye injuries by the projection of fragments or particles.
- Sprains from violent movements or efforts.
- Inhalation of dust in cutting tasks.
- Inadequate use of the tools.
- Use of defective tools.
- Use of poor-quality tools.
- No use of personal protective equipment.
- Forced postures.
- Use in the presence of combustible substances.
Handling power tools
Generic preventive measures:
- Use of quality tools according to the type of work you want to do.
- Use of tool with “CE” marking.
- Check that the tools have the outer casing in good condition and have the protection elements. They should never be disassembled.
- Check the condition of the power cable (there should be no bare copper wires, no splices with electrical tape) and the connecting plug (do not connect the cables directly). Do not transport the tools by taking them by the power cord.
- Choose the right tool for the tool (disk, drill, etc.) and the work you want to do. Said tool must be in good condition such as that the disc is not worn or that the drill bit is sharp.
- Disconnect the tool from the network when you want to change the tool and when it is not going to be used.
Continue reading: To know more about’ what is hand tools’.
- Use the appropriate wrench to change the tool.
- The disconnection of the electric power will never be done by an abrupt pull of the cable.
- Use tools that have double insulation protection and connect them to a protected panel with differential switch.
- Avoid work in the vicinity of combustible materials. If necessary, cover these materials with some fireproof elements (screens, sheets, fire blankets, wet tarpaulins, etc.). Also having fire extinguishers near the workplace.
- Fix the materials of small dimensions by means of jaws or any other suitable instrument before working on them.
- Hold the tools with both hands. Do not adopt forced positions or exert excessive pressure on the tool.
- Wear safety footwear due to the risk of bumps on the feet due to falling tools during handling.
- It is recommended not to wear loose clothing that can favor entrapments in moving parts or jewelry.
- Wear protective glasses and face shields (for the radial) in any case when there is a risk of particle projection.
- Use personal protective equipment.
What are the hand tools and what are they for?
From Latin ferramenta, a tool is an instrument that allows you to perform certain jobs. These objects were designed to facilitate the performance of a mechanical task that requires the use of a certain force. The hammer, screwdriver, pliers and hand saw are tools.
What are the hand and power tools?
Power tools are those tools that work thanks to an extra power source and an electric mechanism, unlike hand tools that do not need more power or an extra mechanism to operate.
What are the power tools?
Power tools are items that help us save time and money, and make it much easier to perform certain tasks at home.
What are the pneumatic tools?
Pneumatic tools are strong, robust and powerful tools. It works with the compressed air provided by a powerful and highly designed compressor. They are designed and manufactured to perform virtually all household chores, as well as for professional and industrial uses.