As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nowadays, the axe is a very common tool, and also for domestic use. In our homes, we use it as a cutting or pruning tool. Using an axe can be a simple task. But if we do not know what is an axe and how to use it, it can harm us in many ways.
Axes are usually used to cut trees and cut wood. This is called a tool that consists of a handle and a blade of sharp steel. But, throughout history they were also used as weapons, even throwing them. That is why there are different types of axes.
An axe is a cutting tool composed of a thick steel or iron blade with a straight or curved edge. A handle placed in a bucket that is on the opposite side of the edge. Its purpose is the cutting of objects through many strokes. Now, there are axes made of steel, both the cutting head and the handle.
At present, the axes are used by lumberjacks, as a tool for cutting trees, wood or firewood. But the origin of this tool dates back to prehistory. On that time the ancient settlers made their axes with sharp stones fastened to pieces of wood. They used them as weapons of combat, for hunting wild animals and even for fighting in wars.
In the Bronze Age, they began to manufacture metal materials such as copper. But they followed the same pattern of assembly of the old manufacture. The axes were used as weapons for warriors of different cultures such as those in Greece, Egypt, and Rome. These weapons were used until the 17th century.
What is an axe and types of axes
The commercialization of this tool has created different axe standards. This has received their own names, to adapt to the current needs of the user. In general, these types of axes are:
- Small axes: They are short-handled axes, which help their handling and transport. They are generally for domestic use. You can use it both in the kitchen of the house and in green areas of home spaces.
- Logging axes: They are heavier axes, with longer handles and thinner cutting edges. These features make cutting this axe more accurate and easier to achieve. But they are more dangerous if not used properly.
- Breaking axes: These are axes that have a wedge-shaped cutting head. It helps to ease penetration into the wood. This feature makes the wood break more easily.
There are other types of axes, as this is a tool that has been changing since its start to suit our needs. Today we can find types of axes related to felling trees, household use, firewood cutting, pruning and more. Also, we can find felling axes of the German, Canadian, French type.
Axes manufactured at the military level are called war axes. The common axes that are used for cutting and chopping, these war axes have a longer handle and a sharper blade. The Viking or Danish axe and the Franciscan axe are two kinds of war axes.
Tomahawk is called an axe used by American aborigines and European settlers several centuries ago. Also, to use in the fight body to body, the tomahawk axe used as a weapon.
The manufacturing materials of the handles are usually made of wood, usually of ash or walnut. But there are also the handles of fibreglass, steel, etc.
How to use an axe?
Today, many people use the axe in their routine, both at home and at work, as it has become a very useful tool. Let’s see below some of the fundamental points that we must keep in mind when using an axe:
- When we use the axe we must do it at an angle of approximately 45º to 60º.
- We must hold the axe of the handle with enough force to ensure that it will not suddenly come loose.
- We must always look at the place where we are making the cut. In this way, we will have better effectiveness in the blows.
- Harmony should be maintained in the rhythm of cuts. It is not advisable to start at an accelerated pace. Because in that way the physical effort will increase and we will get tired before completing our work.
- Where to buy an Axe? Check the Top 14 latest review of Axe.
Safety recommendations for using an axe
- The axe must be firmly grasped as this will prevent us from harming our hands. Also, we should never use a dull or shabby axe. It is advisable to check the blade and make sure it is firmly attached to the handle.
- We must always keep our fingers or any part of the body at a safe distance from the direction of the blow of the axe.
- We have to check the state in which the axe is. Both in the part of the edge and in the part of the handle. If the axe is not in condition it is recommended not to use it. We can run the risk of hurting ourselves or hurting others in this situation.
- If we have people around us, we must ensure that it is at least 10 meters away.
- We must always have a specific place nearby to leave the axe. This can be a dry log or any safe place where we can leave our tools.
- The end of the axe must be the same so that otherwise when making the cut, the edge part may be discarded.
- The view must be fixed in the area we are trying to cut so that the blows are more effective.
- Handle the axe carefully. Not only is it a cutting element but it is also an element with weight.
- We must never throw an axe, much less if we try to give the axe to another person.
- The concentration of the user when handling an axe is extremely important. Because this depends not only on the fact that his work is successful, but also that he and third parties do not suffer physical damage. Besides, to maintain the good condition of the tool.
Note: Looking at the edge of the axe is a very common trend, as well as looking at the end of the racket when playing tennis (instead of the ball). But in both cases, it is a little recommended action. We must always be aware that an axe is a dangerous tool and that its use should be for work purposes only.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.