As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you know how to use a padlock? When using a padlock, it is considered unbreakable. This is why it is used. However, if we lose the keys or code our first intention is to try to open it anyway. No, we are not fools and we know very well that they are not infallible. However, we cannot imagine that opening the padlock code can be simple and easy to do in less than a minute. So we should have the proper knowledge about how to use a padlock.
To safely lock the school locker, the gym, the bicycle, and many other things, it is useful to have a padlock. There is a good reason for this. There is no key to lose. All you have to do is remember the numbers and the correct dial sequence. If you know the combination, opening it will be really easy. Just a couple of turns to the left and right and that’s it – the lock opens.
You can also buy multi-dial locks to lock your bicycle or to protect the contents of your luggage. But you have to know how to use padlock before purchase it. Multi-dial locks use a combination of three or four digits, and they are easy to open, but they are not as secure. In fact, compared to single-dial locks, they are ridiculously easy to crack. If you want to know better how to use it, just read the instructions in this article.
Method-1: Use a new combination padlock
1) Find the combination.
If you just purchased the lock, you should find the combination on the sticker inside your package or behind the lock.
- Only a few models do not have a pre-set combination and must be set by the buyer.
- Even if you don’t use the original combination for a long time (assuming you can change), it is worth keeping until you are familiar with the lock. Keep the leaflet in your wallet, purse or other safe places.
2) Cancel the combination (if possible).
Most padlocks allow you to cancel the combination and replace it with one of your choices. It is usually a procedure that can only be performed with the hook open. If the lock is closed and you have forgotten the combination, you cannot reset it.
Some models have a “reset button” that must be pressed to cancel the combination and insert the new one. With the hook open, use the tool supplied with the padlock (or a needle or pin) to push the reset button.
3) Memorize the new combination.
This is not the case with finding the note with the number of combinations that need to be unlocked each time the lock is opened. This is a sequence that you should keep in mind with ease. So to use the padlock you have to remember this sequence.
Method-2: open a combination padlock with a single knob
1) Turn the knob clockwise three times.
This model of padlock has a complex mechanism that is unlocked only if you follow a certain procedure. Turning the knob to the right in this way cancels it and puts it in the open position.
1) Stop turning when the reference mark is at the first number of the combination.
The notch is usually a line at the top of the knob, at 12 o’clock. Often it is red or another visible color.
2) Turn the knob counterclockwise one full rotation.
Go beyond the first number until you reach the second number of the combination.
4) Turn the knob clockwise and stop on the third number.
This time it is not necessary to complete the rotation. But you have to stop as soon as you reach the last number of the combination.
5) Open the padlock.
In simple models with a single U-ring, you simply have to lift this element upwards. Or, grab the padlock for the ring and pull the body that contains the mechanism.
- If it does not open, repeat the procedure from the beginning. Since you may have activated a few toggles, you must first reset the padlock.
Method-3: Open a Combination Padlock with Multiple Knobs
1) Understand how this model works.
A padlock with multiple knobs is a simpler object than the one described in the previous section. The mechanism is composed of razors in several ways. It consists of a single piston with a stained profile (Each ridge corresponds to each knot).
The piston can only be pulled over the knob if there is no obstacle that blocks the jagged profile. Each knob has an open section that allows the passage of the ridge. For this reason, the piston moves freely only when the combination is correct.
- Unlike models with a single knob, this type of lock must not be reset. Also, there is no method of clockwise or counterclockwise rotation to follow.
2) Turn each knob to insert the combination.
It doesn’t matter in which direction you rotate it (even if some models are limited in only one way).
- Most padlocks have three to five knobs.
- Some models use letters instead of numbers, so it is easier to remember the combination.
3) Open the lock.
You should not feel any physical resistance (unlike what happens in models with knocks). If you have problems, check the combination.
If you forgot the padlock combination.
Because single-dial lock combinations are factory set. You can recover a forgotten combination only by contacting the manufacturer. If you have a serial number in your lock, the manufacturer can combine that number. If the lock has no serial number, then you are unlucky. You must either cut the lock or select it. The Internet is full of instructional material for picking up single-dial padlocks.
Because you can set the combination to a multi-dial lock on its own. The manufacturer cannot help you if you forget it. The same two options apply: cut the lock or select it. Choosing a multi-dial lock is even easier than choosing a single-dial. In fact, you can do it in less than a minute, following the instructions available on YouTube and elsewhere.
- Pulling the latch (the U-shaped part of the lock that you want to secure) off just increases the friction within the process. Do not touch it and the padlock will open more easily.
When you rotate the knob, you do not have to get the exact number. You can be at a distance of about two numbers, and the combination will still work. Buy a padlock here best of luck! Thank you!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.